Monthly Archives: January 2011

Text update and source

I’ve updated Text a bit to improve the visual representation of higher order types (you’d probably need to full screen to view):

I won’t be touching this until after the workshop on Saturday.

I’ve also made the source for the visual interface available here under the GPLv3 free license. To get it actually working as above you’d also need to install my tidal library, Jamie Forth’s network sync, my sampler, the nekobee synth, and somehow get it all working together. In short, it’s a bit tricky, I’ll be working on packaging soonish though.

Test run of Text

I’ve been rather busy writing lately, my PhD funding runs out in April, and I hope by then I’ll have finished and will be looking for things to do next.

I have had a bit of time to make Text, a visual language I mentioned earlier, a bit more stable, here’s a test run:

A bit of a struggle, partly due to the small screen area I gave myself for the grab, but also due to some UI design issues I need to sort out before my workshop at Access Space in Sheffield next week, on the 5th February. Access Space is a really nice free media lab, but will turn nasty unless I free the workshop software, so expect a release soon.

In case someone is interested, here’s the linux commandline I use to record a screencast with audio from jackd:


gst-launch-0.10 avimux name=mux \
! filesink location=cast.avi \
ximagesrc name=videosource use-damage=false endx=640 endy=480 \
! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=10/1 \
! videorate \
! ffmpegcolorspace \
! videoscale method=1 \
! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=10/1 \
! queue \
! mux. \
jackaudiosrc connect=0 name=audiosource \
! audio/x-raw-float,rate=44100,channels=2,depth=16 \
! audioconvert \
! queue \
! mux.