Alex McLean

Making music with text

Category Archives: misc

Bricolage programming example

by Alex on July 24, 2011

I wrote this for the PPIG newsletter last year, but as there has been a hold-up in publishing the newsletter, I’ve put it here: My paper for PPIG 2010 was about bricolage programmers, in particular artists who write software without any clear plan, but just reacting to the results of each edit. From feedback it […]

Programming of the Art Computer

by Alex on July 8, 2011

After getting frustrated with trying to have a discussion about programming languages within the confines of twitter, I made a mailing list, mentioned it to a few people and suddenly 100 people appeared.  It’s called potac, Programming of the Art Computer, with the topic being the design of (rather than the use of) programming languages […]

New job + thesis progress

by Alex on May 12, 2011

I’m looking forward to getting started as a research assistant (or associate, not sure) with the OAK group at Sheffield University, working with Simon Tucker on a linked data project for the next six months.  Well 80% of me will be doing that, the other 20% will be getting my thesis finished…  Speaking of which, […]

Pitter split

by Alex on April 6, 2011

More live coding, this time multitrack (oops added wrong one earlier, fixed now): Some glitches, with audio and video falling out of sync at times… I quite like the results though, as it goes back in again somehow. UPDATE, here’s another one, with tight time sync this time:

Some videos

by Alex on November 21, 2010

First a quick screencast of my new live coding environment called Text, which is I think a good proof of concept but crashes quite often (including at the end of this video).It’s basically Haskell but with syntax based on proximity in 2D space, rather than adjacency. Type compatible things connect automatically, made possible though Haskell’s […]

New text editor

by Alex on November 4, 2010

I stopped using feedback.pl, a self-modifying live code editor written in Perl, some time ago, in favour of editing Haskell in emacs.  It’s about time I made a specialised editor for the pattern stuff I’ve been doing with Haskell.  Actually I have been dreaming of a visual programming language editor for some time, which for […]

Upcoming performances and workshops

by Alex on October 21, 2010

I’ve been doing things a bit on the quiet lately, including Live Coding on the streets of Liverpool, and in a nice bar in Huddersfield.  Time to update the blog I think. Next week we’re doing some live coding in Sheffield: 6:30pm, Oct 29th 2010, Access Space, Sheffield UK - Live Coding alongside Jamie Forth, Scott […]

Heading north

by Alex on June 27, 2010

I’m heading for Sheffield with my family in September.. I’ll have finished writing up my PhD by the time my funding runs out in April, and so will be looking for gainful employment from then, something like teaching, research, software development, music and/or event production in or around Sheffield. Any leads, including interesting people to […]

Paper on bricolage programming

by Alex on June 13, 2010

I’m very happy to have a paper “Bricolage Programming in the Creative Arts” accepted to this year’s PPIG (the Psychology of Programming Interest Group).  You’re probably better off reading the PDF version, but I’ve put it here too: Bricolage Programming in the Creative Arts Alex McLean   Geraint Wiggins Centre for Cognition, Computation and CultureDepartment of […]